Friday, January 1, 2010

The Tuscan Tile Table Tops

When I began the projects to construct the structure of these tables I began by heading out into the woods and selecting Choice Cedar to cut down into legs and Then bought some Poplar to use as trim for the top itself. Then I decided on the sizes of the top and length of the legs. In the larger size the table was roughly 14 inches wide by 3 ft long. The steps involved were fairly straight forward. The poplar was measured and each end was cut to a 45 degree angle to meet in a neat edge. The whole structure was covered in two coats of primer and then painted in three coats of a Forest Green Paint. The Legs were installed using a technique using two long screws and Pro Bond wood glue. Then I grouted the tiles. When the table top was completely painted and the legs were attached I began setting my tiles to decide on the final pattern and spacing that I desired. Then a industrial strength cement/glue was used to affix the tiles to the top and after 18 hrs the surface was wiped clean and a tinted grout mixture was mixed and then applied between the tiles. The table ended up looking great and the whole assembly took less than three days of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment